7 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Al Baik
Al Baik may as well be the kingdom’s national food (bold statement, but we are calling it).
It has been the go-to comfort food since the ’70s because it’s affordable, quick yet very consistent with its delicious and unique tastes.
Here are some facts about the chain that you have probably not heard before
1. The story began in 1974 when the late Shakour Abu Ghazalah saw there was a need for high quality affordable fast food
He put all his hard earned savings in this venture, and introduced the “broast” chicken concept to Saudi Arabia.
2. Jeddah was expanding north from the old city and Shakour found an ideal location in the brand-new Al Dakheel Building at the crossroads of Al Madinah Road and Palestine Street
He started to build his first restaurant, but had to suspend the project because electric power had not reached the newly built building yet.
3. Never one to give up, Shakour AbuGhazalah then transformed an old warehouse he’d leased on Airport Road in the Sharafiyah District and opened the first fried chicken restaurant in the Kingdom
4. In March 1976, a second branch finally opened in the Al Dakheel Building (the site originally picked by Shakour AbuGhazalah)
5. The iconic AlBaik logo was developed in 1986 by Shakour AbuGhazalah’s son, Ihsan and his late wife Laila, after he and his brother took over the business when his father passed away
It has been modified a couple of times since then.
6. In 1998 ALBAIK was invited by the Kingdom’s government to serve the pilgrims during the Hajj season and has been doing so to date
Since then the Hajj operation has been designated as a not-for-profit operation.
7. ALBAIK Xpress was developed in 2002 and today there are 9 Xpress restaurants in four cities
It’s a limited menu concept developed primarily for malls.